[OSM-dev] Announcing: Simple Map Editor (GSoC 2010)

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Mon Aug 16 18:10:43 BST 2010

  Hi,

like the simple style of the editor and the usage of web standards - it's a very good start. Some
points:

- I can only add predefined tags - I think there should be a more common way to add tags. The best
way is to simplify adding relevant tags by using data mining (Which tags are often used together
with the tags already defined?) to propose new tags instead of manually predefining tags! Or do you
have implemented it already this way but the test data set lacks some data? Anyway, I (not a
beginner) want to be able to add any tag I want.
- I want to be able to zoom out to see the whole geometry.
- I agree with Sebastian Klein: Do not force the user to cancel or save, but save the whole as one
changeset.
- It's great that it uses OAuth.

Adding geometry editing and so on will be a non-trivial task, as Andy Allan mentioned.
For the moment I like the UI and I like it, that mere mortals can use the application.

Andi