[OSM-dev] adding custom symbology into the map generation process?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Wed Aug 18 11:15:25 BST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get my own custom mapnik symbology rules into the open
street map map generation process. By the map generation process, I mean
what is described here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik

basically what I'm aiming for:

- import the planet.osm file into a pgsql database, using osm2pgsql

- import my custom .osm file on top of that, into the same pgsql
database, using osm2pgsql

- run generate_xml.py to generate an osm.xml, that would include the
'usual' symbology rules, and also my own symbology rules

- run generate_tiles.py to generate tiles, which would show both the
'usual' open street map content, and also mine on top of that, on the
same set of tiles.

for all this, I already have my .osm file that describes my content, and
also my mapnik XML file, that describes the mapnik symbology needed for
the rendering. (I can provide samples of these in case) my content uses
a custom <tag k="..."/> tag to identify the type of content I create
(for now, these are polygons). the mapnik symbology rules filter on this
tag for rendering.

but I wonder, is there anything special to be done to import my custom
.osm file into a pgsql database, and then how would my rendering rules
by taken into account when generate_xml.py is run?

all pointers are welcome,

Akos