[OSM-dev] adding custom symbology into the map generation process?

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Aug 18 11:37:05 BST 2010

Am 18.08.2010 12:15, schrieb Ákos Maróy:
> but I wonder, is there anything special to be done to import my custom
> .osm file into a pgsql database, and then how would my rendering rules
> by taken into account when generate_xml.py is run?

To import your own .osm file you'll need osm2pgsql in append mode
(specify --append on the command line).

To add your own rendering rules, look at the osm.xml after running
generate_xml.py. It includes a whole set of other styles (located in the
inc/ directory). You can include your own styles that way, too (or, if
you're in a hurry, just copy'n'past your own styles into osm.xml).

But there's a third way: you could render your own .osm with your own
style to a transparent tile (like [1] which is used in [2]), fetch the
base-map tile from tile.osm.org and combine both using the ImageMagick
composite command [3].

Peter

[1] <http://toolserver.org/tiles/surveillance/8/132/85.png>
[2]