[OSM-dev] database growth on updated partial import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 24 00:02:54 BST 2010

Hi,

Stephan Knauss wrote:
> Autovacuum is on

Unlikely, but check if you have any messages about max_fsm_pages being
too small in your Postgres log. If that happens it means that the normal
vacuum process is not enough (try a vacuum full and see if size goes
down; if yes, increase your max_fsm_pages).

> It seams to be planet_osm_ways growing. It also contains lots of ways
> that are completely outside the bounding box.

Unsure why that can happen. The bbox filter is only applied to nodes
(because only they have a location). Maybe all created/modified ways are
imported even if they refer to non-existing nodes entirely?

> Would it be safe to delete rows with geometry outside the bounding box?

I think so, but the planet_osm_way table does not have a geometry. You
would have to write a query that eliminates those ways which have
dangling references to nodes I think. Sounds slow ;)

Bye
Frederik