[OSM-dev] database growth on updated partial import

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 23 23:38:47 BST 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Stephan Knauss wrote:

> For the bilingual map rendering I imported only a small area of the planet
> defined by a bounding box.
>
> This is updated using the minute replication.
>
> Now the database is growing by apx. 1.5GB each week.
>
> Autovacuum is on

> Would it be safe to delete rows with geometry outside the bounding box? Or is
> this conflicting with the update?

How many rows lie outside of your geometry box?

This will tell you if it's an issue with osm2pgsql not respecting the
bounding box or a possible postgresql vacuum issue.

Also what version of postgreql are you on? Frederik mentioned the
max_fsm_pages that parameter should be checked in 8.3 but is no longer
needed (does not exist) in 8.4

If it is a vacuum issue knowing what the other values for the vacuum_* and
autovacuum_* parameters are might be useful to know.  For example it is
possible to configure your autovacuum naptime so high that vacuum can't do
enough work before sleeping to keep up.

Steve