[OSM-dev] Mapping during license change / "safe to edit"

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:19:16 BST 2010

For me, it's more a legal question than a technical question:
Either we consider that all elements altered by a changeset are a kind of
"re-survey" in which case the editor could replace altered existing elements
by new ones at upload. By 'altered', I mean changes in positions or tags. By
'elements', I mean nodes, ways and relations. But I would not consider
'altered' an existing way with a new node inserted if it's not changing the
current tags or positions of that way (e.g. creating a new intersection).
For relations, it's more complicated because many are very localized and
created by a single author in which case it should not be replaced by a
second author. But some are large and complexe like boundaries where many
contributors affected the relation. I don't see why in this case we should
delete these relations with hundreds members only because the creator
started it (probably also very incomplete) and refuses the license ...
Or we don't consider that the last contributor is an original author, in
which case it is impossible to do something automagically.

Pieren