[OSM-dev] Mapping during license change / "safe to edit"

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:20:43 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net<Alan_Mintz%2BOSM at earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> At 2010-08-25 01:27, Igor Brejc wrote:
>
>> But I'm a bit skeptical whether this all would do any good. I'd say go
>> ahead and map. And save your local copies of OSM files for the stuff you
>> edited, just in case.
>>

> Is this going to be necessary, or will there be a point at which the
> license change occurs, with the state as of that change available for some
> period of time? It's impractical for me to manage local files with my edits,
> and I don't want to burden the servers unnecessarily by running an automated
> daily download of the (wide) area in which I'm editing.
>

> I'm not involved in this license change in any way, so I'm not the one to
answer. But being a developer myself and understanding at least a little
about complexities of such a migration, my advice is to keep some kind of a
backup. As I'm using JOSM, keeping OSM files used for uploading to server is
not a big issue. And you probably don't need a daily backup, even if you
loose a day or two of your changes, I guess it's not a total disaster
(compared to the vast amount of data already in the system).

Igor