[OSM-dev] Mapping during license change / "safe to edit"

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:51:50 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> But I was thinking more about the immediate short term; at least the 100%
> cases could be easily made visible to users. "This object is definitely
> safe", "this object is not yet safe", "this object may be partially safe,
> click here to inspect the history" would already help a lot.

Ideally, the server/API is the best place to deliver this information where
e.g a flag could be attached to each downloaded element and set to "safe"
when all versions have authors accepting the new license (and missing or
"unsafe" in other cases). Either the flag is calculated at run-time on each
request or it is regularly re-assessed by going through the list of
contributors accepting the new licence. Then it would be the responsability
of the editor to display this information (different colors or layers or
whatever you like).

Pieren