[OSM-dev] Merging pbf files problem?

Will Wilson wilson.william at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 16:24:45 GMT 2010

> I'm not sure if it is documented and the process is a compromise. The
> simplest thing is to apply the world diffs and put up with the small
> amount of extra data which appears for the rest of the world. It should
> be possible to apply a bbox filter to the diffs too but there are some
> edge cases which can result in missing data. In real-life these edge
> cases will probably be so rare that they won't cause any real issues.

So, just to be clear, how does this workflow look?

1. Download planet.osm; extract USA with bounding polygon, import USA.osm,
don't delete planet.osm.

2. (Repeat) Have a cron job download daily/hourly changeset for whole
planet; apply changeset to DB with osm2pgsql. Some cruft will show up on
other continents as people make changes elsewhere.

3. (Repeat) Also apply changeset to planet.osm that's hanging out on my hard
drive.

4. (Once a month?) Re-apply bounding polygon to patched planet.osm; drop
tables then re-import USA.osm to get rid of extra data in rest of world.

Or is this overkill for the small amount of data that will be showing up in
the changesets?