[OSM-dev] Merging pbf files problem?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 21 16:50:10 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 12/21/10 17:24, Will Wilson wrote:
> 1. Download planet.osm; extract USA with bounding polygon, import
> USA.osm, don't delete planet.osm.

No: Download planet.osm, import into osm2pgsql with the -b parameter
specifiying an US bbox, delete planet.osm.

> 2. (Repeat) Have a cron job download daily/hourly changeset for whole
> planet; apply changeset to DB with osm2pgsql. Some cruft will show up on
> other continents as people make changes elsewhere.

Yes, the downloading would be done with osmosis --rri.

> 3. (Repeat) Also apply changeset to planet.osm that's hanging out on my
> hard drive.

Too expensive (reading + writing whole planet each time).

> 4. (Once a month?) Re-apply bounding polygon to patched planet.osm; drop
> tables then re-import USA.osm to get rid of extra data in rest of world.

I'd say, once every few months re-download planet and start from step 1.
Some guy also has a script that, using SQL statements, removes the cruft
outside a given area, sadly I forgot who it was. It was on the list
about half a year ago I think.

Bye
Frederik