[OSM-dev] Osmosis split of the planet

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 8 12:06:59 GMT 2010

Hi,

Nic Roets wrote:
> Now my question is: Can I tell osmosis to work with intermediate streams
> ? That would remove the need to gzip / gunzip and write / read from disk.

I think Brett may have read a more complicated question into this when
he answered (or I am reading it too simplistic).

The solution to your problem might be to first split the file into a
small number of large areas with BitSet, and then do the further
splitting with IdList (or whatever the default is that uses less memory).

This can be done in one Osmosis invocation, because each stream in
Osmosis can be given a name so you can make it clear on the command line
which streams should process the output of which other streams. If you
don't use names then Osmosis puts all new streams on a stack and uses
them from there, but I believe that your situation might be one that
does not work without assigning names.

osmosis
   --rx file.osm
   --tee 4
   --bb ... idTrackerType=BitSet outPipe.0=region1
   --bb ... idTrackerType=BitSet outPipe.0=region2
   --bb ... idTrackerType=BitSet outPipe.0=region3
   --bb ... idTrackerType=BitSet outPipe.0=region4
   --tee inPipe.0=region1 outputCount=99
     --bb ... --wx region1.file1.osm
     --bb ... --wx region1.file2.osm
     --bb ... --wx region1.file99.osm
   --tee inPipe.0=region2 outputCount=99
     --bb ... --wx region2.file1.osm

Needless to say, this is all horribly inefficient, and calls for one
Osmosis plugin that generates as many output streams as it has bboxes.

Bye
Frederik

PS: Is it by design that some areas are not covered by any of your
rectangles?