[OSM-dev] OSM front page design concept

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Feb 21 11:25:15 GMT 2010

On 21/02/10 11:17, Stefan Breunig wrote:

> For example, the search result currently pop up left of the map which is
> a sensible thing to do. In the mockup, feedback is presented as layer-ad
> which I strongly believe sucks UI wise, but that's another rant. Maybe
> routing will be integrated, or a feature that allows to customize your
> map with stars and pink ponys. It might be useful to adjust the map
> while doing something else, e.g. filling a map bug report.

Integrating routing requires that we have a routing engine that can
cover the whole world, run on our servers, and support the likely load
that will occur if it sits on our home page. Are there are candidates at
the moment?

> While removing overload right at the start, it's good to have something
> in petto. Otherwise stuff might be put /anywhere/ even if it's not
> sensible (e.g. why is "Diaries" a tab, but "Map Key" is not?).

Hysterical raisins - we have too many tabs already though so we
definitely can't add any more.

> While at it OpenLayers' handling of different map styles should be
> integrated into this central place instead of the additional zoom button
> in the upper right corner. Same for perma/shortlink, although these
> should be implemented like Yahoo does (it changes the anchor part of the
> current URL, allowing normal browser functions like bookmarking properly).

If you look at http://maps.compton.nu/ which is my personal site you'll
see that I've been playing with doing exactly that for the permalink ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/