[OSM-dev] exporting svg from main page (mapnik) gives huge file

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 22 08:04:52 GMT 2010

Hi,

MilesTogoe wrote:
> we went to download a map of the world at a low zoom level 2 (which just
> showed continents and most country boundaries) yet the download size was
> huge - there wasn't any buttons or options to reduce the data levels -
> personally I thnk based on the scale, the data should be reduced
> accordingly

No, it isn't. You get the raw data in full resolution. OpenStreetMap's
"core competency" is maps with lots of detail, not simplified maps of
the whole world. If you want the latter, you are much better off with
using the public domain data from http://www.naturalearthdata.com/ or,
even simpler, one of the public domain choices from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps.

Bye
Frederik