[OSM-dev] I converted the rails port to Git

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:07:33 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:56, Jonathan Bennett
<openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/02/2010 22:30, Ęvar Arnfjörš Bjarmason wrote:
>> We were discussing maybe moving over to Git in #osm and I thought I'd
>> do a quick conversion just to show how easy it is:
>
> Sorry I missed the original conversation. Can you, for the benefit of
> those of us not present, give a few bullet points of the benefits to OSM
> as a project of a move to Git (or any other SCM)?
>
> I'm interested in what problems this move would solve, not what features
> Git has that SVN doesn't. For what it's worth, I have nothing
> particularly against Git, or for SVN, but change has its cost. And I'd
> prefer Mercurial, purely because I use NetBeans, and it has better hg
> support.

If OSM moves to Git we'll all be way awesomer and get more girls. We
might even eclipse Google Maps sometime next month.

More seriously though I didn't mean to sound as if everyone should
switch to git /right now/ because it's so awesome.

I did the experimental rails_port -> Git conversion because there was
some discussion in the #osm channel from some developers that work on
it (zere & shaun) about potentially using Git. I just thought I'd
spend 10 minutes bringing that from the hypothetical to something that
worked.

Furthermore the OpenStreetMap SVN is a collection of a vast amount of
unrelated projects who reraly talk together or share any code. My
posting was mainly aimed at on of the authors (or group of authors)
which already maintain a project there, want to switch to Git but
don't know how.

Honstly I'd rather not see some project-wide discussion about whether
we should all use Git or Subversion. I've seen a few of those and it
ultimately degenerates into the equivalent of a room full of people
collectively deciding what their favorite color is; Or to pick an
analogy closer to home: Whether we should all use Potlatch or JOSM.

Rather I think it's useful to recognize that we like different things,
that there are boundaries in the OSM SVN over which code never
crosses, and if people want to split up a part of it into Git,
Mecurial, CVS or whatever that's fine, and if they want to stay with
SVN that's also just fine :)