[OSM-dev] I converted the rails port to Git

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 22:01:58 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Jonathan Bennett
<openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/02/2010 22:30, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> We were discussing maybe moving over to Git in #osm and I thought I'd
>> do a quick conversion just to show how easy it is:
>
> Sorry I missed the original conversation. Can you, for the benefit of
> those of us not present, give a few bullet points of the benefits to OSM
> as a project of a move to Git (or any other SCM)?

For me, it's about making public half-baked ideas. Like when I was
most of the way through doing drag-and-drop icons for P2, and needed
Dave and Richard to check the code. I'd rather just save my
work-in-progress to my own tree rather than either committing straight
to trunk or setting up a whole branch just for one small code review.
For the rails port specifically, I'd like to play around with new UI
stuff and maybe have a few of us throwing ideas around and mixing and
merging between branches without pissing off TomH by doing it in trunk
and without confusing anyone by having branches like
gravitystorm-and-zere-and-shauns-new-thing that are only around for a
day or two.

As for hosting, my vote[1] is for gitorious instead of github. But I'm
not a diehard on that topic.

Cheers,
Andy