[OSM-dev] OSM and CouchDB/GeoCouch

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Fri Jul 2 16:21:25 BST 2010

The web frontend is mainly for searching - it needs fast reads,
horizontal scaling across several servers.
In the backend it needs functions that check for geometric relations or
that compute new geometries. It must be able to handle huge, complex
geometries.
Fast geo indexes for both frontend and backend.
I can drop the C in CAP.
I don't want to use both PostGIS and Couch for the search frontend, so I
want to decide by some clear metrics what to use.
My plan is to use Couch as soon as I need to scale the frontend, and
PostGIS will still be used for complex computations in the backend.

However, it would be great, if the community can experiment with your
code and proove how well a NoSQL solution will perform compared to a
RDBMS for the OpenStreetMap tool layers.

Andi