[OSM-dev] USGS fork of OpenStreetMap

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:27:49 BST 2010

Folks,

An initial project has started at the USGS to explore using the OSM stack to
facilitate our data integration and, eventually, involve more user generated
content (i.e., give a home to The National Map Corps). The project is
currently titled the OpenStreetMap Collaborative Prototype (OSMCP). It's a
really small team (three people, part time) working on this. Initially we
are working with a state GIO (geographic information office), loading their
data into OSMCP, configuring the tools to use our schema and then co-editing
the data. It's really just a "see what temperature the water is" kind of
project right now but will be expanding later this year and next.

This hasn't been officially announced to the public yet. In typical USGS
fashion, we really want the thing to be a little more polished. But to get
there, we need a little help.

We followed the API install how-to (which was very helpful). We have been
able to successfully load the state GIO data and can get JOSM and Merkaartor
to download pieces of it (while still pointing to the real OSM for tiles).
Potlatch, however, just goes into an endless loop of "Please wait - loading
presets" when trying to edit on the main page. And updates aren't working
right from JOSM and Merkaartor.

As of right now, there is also a firewall issue that's making access outside
the USGS even more funky. I have a request in to loosen the firewall
restrictions. I think the Potlatch issues may be resolved by recompiling on
the server.

The update issues are kind of weird but what's happening, for instance, if I
move the end node of a street (in either Merkaartor or JOSM), upload the
changeset, and then download again - in JOSM the way remains where it was
but there is now a spurious node floating out where I moved the end node to.
And in Merkaartor, the way moves but there is now a spurious node where the
node was originally.

Are there any log files I can watch for clues as to what's wrong? Chances
are, it's a permissions issue. We are required to start with a system
installation that's been security hardened by our IT people. So. much of
what we end up dealing with gets resolved with a simple chmod.

-Eric Wolf

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience