[OSM-dev] Postgres 8.4 performance trouble in osm2pgsql setup

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 8 19:05:00 BST 2010

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> The intial import went all right on 8.3 and 8.4; my "4 times slower" was
>> about adding a daily diff to the data base. The node changes were
>> reasonably fast, and then it took ages to process the way changes. I
>> think I'll instrument osm2pgsql to produce intermediate timestamps for
>> the various steps.
>
> Has this been reported upstream? If there's a simple-ish testcase for
> it bisecting to where the problem is shouldn't be too hard..

I don't have a simple-ish testcase yet but if I can produce one I'll
surely raise that with the PostgreSQL folks. Or PostGIS folks, depending
on the outcome. As things stand it is entirely possible that some freak
condition on my test system was responsible; I'll have to run a series
of experiments under comparable conditions to find out.

Bye
Frederik