[OSM-dev] Postgres 8.4 performance trouble in osm2pgsql setup

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Sun May 9 02:06:22 BST 2010

Le samedi 08 mai 2010 01:11:10, vous avez écrit :
> Sly,
>
> sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
> > Test case :
> > wget http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/france/alsace.osm.bz2
> > time osm2pgsql -C 1200 -s -S ./default.style -G -x -m -d gis
> > ./alsace.osm.bz2 (...)
>
> The intial import went all right on 8.3 and 8.4; my "4 times slower" was
> about adding a daily diff to the data base.

Ooops sorry, I considered too quickly that diff import or initial import would
produce same kind of behaviour.

> The node changes were
> reasonably fast, and then it took ages to process the way changes.

I re-tried on my two setup a one hour diff import (but the loaded database is
almost empty with just
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/france/alsace.osm.bz2 so it could lead
to other types of results.

Interestingly, this time, loading the one hour diff took 2'33" on the postgres
8.4 and 1'10" on postgres 8.3

Trying on the exact same machine with a much wider initial import could be
interesting to test, but all this let me think I'd better postpone my 8.4
migration.

Anyway thanks for the feed back

--
sly