[OSM-dev] Proposed change to JOSM

Wed May 26 15:19:34 BST 2010

At 2010-05-26 05:37, John Smith wrote:
>On 26 May 2010 22:31, Jacob Rau <jarau at mtu.edu> wrote:
> >> Do you know about the filtering in current stable version of JOSM...
>
>Adding a rule by default makes that object(s) non-selectable, it goes
>a blackish colour and you just can't click on it, if you want to hide
>the object(s) completely you need to tick the box under the 'H' (for
>hide) column.

Can someone look at making the columns in the filter dialog sizeable? I
can't actually see the headers in the checkbox columns - they render as
"...", and changing the width of the dialog changes only the width of the
Text column. I think I've figured out that the first enables that filter,
the second hides the objects instead of disabling them, the third (after
the Text) includes children of the object, the fourth inverts the filter,
and there is an "A" shown in a column after that.

This is a great and powerful feature, but users should be careful not to
corrupt filtered-out objects that are (inexplicably) glued to visible
objects. For example, if you don't choose to hide all children because
someone has glued landuse polygons that you don't want to see to the road
nodes and you need to see and edit the road nodes, deleting one of those
nodes can change that hidden polygon. Now, if we can just stop people from
gluing dissimilar objects together...

>The filtering uses the same method to find objects as the find box, so
>try ctrl+f and searching for various objects first to see what may
>become hidden, also it's boundary=administrative

It also seems that it stores the "replace selection", "add to selection",
etc., so you build a complex filter just the same way you would build a
selection set - by adding/subtracting objects until you get what you want.
Very powerful.