[OSM-dev] start of gwtosm the google webtoolkit port of josm

johann sorel johann.sorel at geomatys.fr
Wed May 26 23:22:03 BST 2010

Hello,

just a side node on the subject.
I'm not a professionnal of gwt, just heard and watch a few demo/examples
about it.
Looks more like a last chance solution or "Magic" like you said.

Does it worth the time spend ?
I mean you could much more easely make :
- Java applet
- Java Web Start
- JavaFX.
Without much change in the code (perhaps even none).
Any of thoses solutions also have the benefit of speed and compatibility
on browsers.

I know some will say that it might be bigger to download, but I'm not so
sure anymore
with the latest pack200 compresion the application size can be reduced
by 50 to 70% (any even more combine with other tools) and once
downloaded won't require any more download if you close/reopen the browser.

What are gwt benefits in this case ?

johann sorel