[OSM-dev] OSM Mapnik Fonts are Nonsense

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 21:35:50 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:14 +0000, maw269 at gmail.com wrote:
> All the letters in Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, North Africa
> and similar areas that don't use the english alphabet, are nonsense.
> See http://d.imagehost.org/0402/OSM.png
>
> Can someone please help me?

That looks quite broken but I'm not convinced the issue is with Mapnik
itself. Are you sure that the data was imported into postgres using a
UTF8 database?

gis=> \l
                                  List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |   Access privileges
 gis       | owner    | UTF8     | en_GB.UTF-8 | en_GB.UTF-8 |

Try reading one of the names which appears broken:

gis=> select name from planet_osm_point where name like 'Tchad%' limit 1;
    name
 Tchad تشاد

   Jon