[OSM-dev] OSM Mapnik Fonts are Nonsense

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 22:08:25 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 +0000, Jon Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:14 +0000, maw269 at gmail.com wrote:
> > All the letters in Eastern Europe, Asia, the Middle East, North Africa
> > and similar areas that don't use the english alphabet, are nonsense.
> > See http://d.imagehost.org/0402/OSM.png
> >
> > Can someone please help me?
>
> That looks quite broken but I'm not convinced the issue is with Mapnik
> itself. Are you sure that the data was imported into postgres using a
> UTF8 database?
>
> gis=> \l
>                                   List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |  Collation  |    Ctype    |   Access privileges
> -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
>  gis       | owner    | UTF8     | en_GB.UTF-8 | en_GB.UTF-8 |
>

> Try reading one of the names which appears broken:
>
> gis=> select name from planet_osm_point where name like 'Tchad%' limit 1;
>     name
> ------------
>  Tchad تشاد

On second thoughts, there are several entries in the table which match
that and you might not get to see the right one. Either drop the 'limit
1' or try:

gis=> select name from planet_osm_point where name like 'Tchad%' and place='country';
    name
 Tchad تشاد

You might also want to verify that your client connection also uses
UTF8:

gis=> show client_encoding;
 client_encoding
 UTF8