[OSM-dev] OSM Mapnik Fonts are Nonsense

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:49:43 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de> wrote:

> This is not necessary. On ptolemy, the wikimedia toolserver I missed to
> create the table as UTF8 and we have multilingual rendering nevertheless:

You can get a long way with broken UTF8 database settings, after all,
this is what OSM was running on the main database for many years
before 0.6. So long as the clients all have the same setting you can
insert UTF8, store it in a nasty mangled form, and retrieve it and it
comes back nicely as UTF8.

Except, that is, when you get very long UTF8 strings that get cropped
because their mangled encoding is longer than 256 characters. That's
probably not happening much but might cause you an issue at some
point.

Cheers,
Andy