[OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Nov 4 21:52:43 GMT 2010

On 16/06/10 11:31, Peter Körner wrote:
> In a attempt to reactivate the Multilingual Maps Project, I started a
> testcase with language overlays instead of complete language
> maps. This should save a lot of RAM (loading all 270+ map styles took
> ~16GB of Memory only for renderd).
>
> It's still rendering the low-zoom tiles so it is very slow. I also
> activated only three language overlays to test the setup but the other
> stlye-files are already in place and will be activated one after another.
>
> So feel free to play around and give comments:
> http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/
>
> Peter

This is a great idea. The Irish OpenStreetMap community have done
something similar for http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/ . Ireland has 2
offical languages, Irish and English. We did something similar with
splitting it into 2 separate layers. I just copied the Mapnik style file
and manually deleted name stuff from one and delete non-name stuff from
the other. You have to keep the ref shield symbolizers in the name
mapnik file, otherwise they'll collide.

Rory