[OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 01:02:21 GMT 2010

Ok; I'm getting it slowly... But still have definition problems.

name=Strasbourg
name:de=Straßburg
name:gsw=Schdroosburi

Is this example correct (especially "name:gsw=Schdroosburi")?
What about the loc_name: Is there there no loc_name or is it
"loc_name=Schdroosburi" too?

My problem is still loc_name's definition. I would define it as
follows: "loc_name is the name of a feature known as by the local
population which does not have the same etymology (history and origin
of the word). loc_name is in contrast to the official name ("name"
tag) and in contrast to the local pronounciation of the respective
official name (which is covered by namespaced name tags like e.g.
"name:gsw").

Here is another example: There are two small towns, Nottwil and
Buchrain (about 5000 inhabitants). They are called in Swiss German
"Nottu" and "Bueri" (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchrain_LU ).
"Bueri" seems to be very different to "Buchrain" but shares the
etymology. Therefore:

name=Buchrain
name:de:Buchrain
name:gsw:Bueri