[OSM-dev] API returns zipped data?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 7 11:24:30 GMT 2010

I was making a tool for myself and was downloading data from the API and saw
that the data was binary data. On closer inspection it was gzipped.

The general information in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6 talks
about that the payload may be compressed, but I'm not sure what is meant by
payload. Is this the request going to the api or is this what the api returns?
It also states that this should only happen when the client indicates this
through the HTTP "Accept" header. But the client I'm using, Lynx, does not do
so. At least: I've never received compressed data from any source before.

regards,
Maarten