[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql - gazetteer - Installing on ubuntu

Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut at php.net
Thu Nov 11 21:13:02 GMT 2010

On 11/11/2010 09:58 AM, james croft wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to get Nominatim up and running on a dev box.  I am checking
> out the osm2pgsql code from git and am running into a problem
> with gazetteer-functions.sql.  It used to be that running 'make' in the
> gazetteer directory created a gazetteer.so file that I could reference
> from the gazetteer-functions.sql script.  I just replaced the following
> with the location of the file.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION transliteration(text) RETURNS text
>    AS '/home/twain/osm2pgsql2/gazetteer/gazetteer.so', 'transliteration'
> LANGUAGE c IMMUTABLE STRICT;
>
> It now appears that automake and libtool (things I know nothing about)
> are being used and this file is no longer generated.  What do I replace
> the references in the gazetteer-functions.sql script to now?

the file is generated, but put into .../gazetteer/.lib/gazetteer.so
(autotools default)

"make install" will put it into $prefix/lib/osm2pgsql
(default: /usr/local/lib/osm2pgsql/gazetteer.so )

you can load it from either places

my problem with the extension was that i did not have

   postgresql-server-dev-8.4

on this ubuntu test box yet

looks as if i need to tweak the gazetteer README file a little bit