[OSM-dev] Is there a way to use simple schema without hstore

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Nov 19 09:06:58 GMT 2010

Hi,

Andreas Kalsch wrote:
> One simple answer: The drivers do not work appropriately with complex
> SQL data types. In PHP or node.js I will get a string that I have to
> parse, in MongoDB, I get a proper object or list. If I used hstore in a
> consequent way (I like consequence and unification), I would have sets
> in sets,

It seems to me that you are mistaking "consequence" for "exaggeration".
In many cases - especially when dealing with large real-world datasets
as opposed to a nice little hello-world application -, a healthy
compromise works better than grabbing one concept and trying to make the
world fit that concept.

> But just intermingling things for fun does not make the world better.

I think you're misunderstanding. hstore has not been implemented for
fun. (Are you aware that PostgreSQL can extend column indexes to hstore
keys?)

> MongoDB, for example, unifies worlds by simply using JSON. I don't have
> to manually parse things I do not need to parse.

In turn, you will have a hard time getting the performance required for
a planet-wide application out of MongoDB.

Bye
Frederik