[OSM-dev] Is there a way to use simple schema without hstore

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Fri Nov 19 11:50:27 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:37:33AM +0100, Andreas Kalsch wrote:
>> If you're applying diffs to the database you can enhance the
>> osmosisUpdate() function (initially empty, but can be customised) to
>> keep your separate tags tables up to date during each diff
>> application.  You will need to run the
>> "pgsql_simple_schema_0.6_action.sql" script against the database so
>> that all actions during a diff are logged and can be used by your
>> osmosisUpdate function to know which records need to be re-processed.
> Is it possible to truncate the actions table for myself so that a
> separate script can access the changes?

Simply copy away the information from the action table somewhere
persistent in the osmosisUpdate function. Works fine.

However, +1 from me for an action table that can be truncated manually.

>> The older Osmosis 0.36 is still available so you don't have to upgrade.
>>  It remains compatible with 0.6 XML files.  Finally, if there is enough
>> demand for the older schema style the old tasks can be pulled back out
>> of SVN and run alongside the new ones, but I'm not keen to do that
>> without good reason.  I did consider trying to support both styles of
>> table in the same tasks by dynamically detecting what tables are
>> installed, but it increases the code complexity considerably and I
>> didn't think the effort was worthwhile.
> *) With that, you would provide a downward compatible solution that I would   appreciate a lot!

I haven't tried yet but it should be fairly simple to create a view that
simulates the old tag tables. Probably not the best solution performance-
wise but useful for a gradual update of old scripts.

Sarah