[OSM-dev] Is there a way to use simple schema without hstore

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sat Nov 20 06:27:45 GMT 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I've given all of this a bit more thought.  Perhaps there is a need
> for a "simple" schema that is easy for people to populate and utilise.  I'm
> quite happy with hstore, but it's not as simple for those familiar with
> basic SQL.
>
> The original reason I created the so-called simple schema was to support
> improved bounding box functionality because I couldn't do it via flat files
> efficiently.  It was called "simple" because I was also working on a full
> history schema that I never found time to complete.  My intent has always
> been to optimise for accurate bounding box query performance and not
> simplicity so the name is something of a misnomer.
>
> Anyway, perhaps I should re-instate the old tasks and run them alongside
> the new ones.  I'll have to re-think the naming of these tasks and schemas.
> Perhaps "simple" and "snapshot" or something ...
>
> But I don't know when I'll get to do this.  I'm very time poor at the
> moment.

Okay, that wasn't too painful.  I found an hour or two to today so I've
created new (actually old) tasks and documented them here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage_0.39#PostGIS_Tasks_.28Simple_Schema.29

It's available in SVN for now.  These "new" tasks are just the old tasks
retrieved out of SVN history and renamed.  Note that these tasks are
effectively at a dead end because any new development is likely to proceed
on the new hstore schema.  They should continue to work for the foreseeable
future.

I'll probably cause further confusion with schema names.  But I'm now
calling the new style hstore schema the "pgsnapshot" schema, and the older
tag table style schema the "pgsimple" schema.  I'm open to suggestions, but
any change will need to be reflected on the wiki and in the codebase.

Brett