[OSM-dev] Server timeouts

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Oct 8 15:59:57 BST 2010

Sometimes downloading from the API in JOSM I get a message along the
lines of "malformed XML", which I think is just caused by the XML being
truncated, which in turn I am speculating is caused by the server
exceeding a limit for the time allowed.

If I immediately redo the query it almost always succeeds - and the
download amount starts counting almost immediately. So I'm guessing the
area query to determine what to download is being cached and as a result
my download takes much less time and succeeds.

If I'm right, this seems to me to increase load on the server, because
while my original query is fast the second time, most of the first
download time is wasted. If you've got as far as completely answering
the area query, would it make sense to then complete the whole
transaction? i.e. apply the timeout (possibly a shorter timeout) to the
query phase only. Or restart the clock at the start of downloading.

As well as reducing overall load, it would reduce downloader frustration.

I say this in complete ignorance of what is actually going on, mere
speculation. But something odd is clearly happening.

David