[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 12 03:53:00 BST 2010

I'm building a robot as a school project that will use data from TIGER
imports and automatically create route relations for US state roads.
There are tens of thousands of these, so some automation seems
appropriate.

I'm not sure what the best way to access the data is.  The robot will
have to make /lots/ of queries (much like the wayfinder plugin in JOSM),
so querying against the main db seems inappropriate.

What are my other options?

* Local db?  I tried importing planet.osm but it's too big and takes too
  long.  Even if I trim it to just US, my machine isn't all that
  powerful, and I still don't know if I'll have enough disk.

* XAPI?  I heard this is slow and will not be up for the amount of
  queries I might be sending.

* TRAPI? ROMA?

I could use some guidance.  If there's some way to get part or all of
the planet onto my own machine without spending 3 weeks doing the
import, I'd be up for it, but otherwise, I need other suggestions.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \