[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 12 06:58:32 BST 2010

Hi,

Peter Budny wrote:
> I'm building a robot as a school project that will use data from TIGER
> imports and automatically create route relations for US state roads.

My advice is not to do it; if it can be done automatically, route
relations are not required, and many in our community view bots as bad.
It is likely that the use of bots will become rather heavily regulated
in the future.

> * Local db?  I tried importing planet.osm but it's too big and takes too
>   long.  Even if I trim it to just US, my machine isn't all that
>   powerful, and I still don't know if I'll have enough disk.

Your best option is to write something that doesn't import planet.osm
but parses and processes it. Depending on what you want to do you may
have to parse it twice or even more often. This will take long - a few
hours each pass - but can probably be done with little memory
consumption. It is not unlikely that you will only have to look at the
ways so you can basically skip the first 70% of the file...

For development of course, you will want to create a very small extract
with something like osmosis first.

Bye
Frederik