[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 12 09:36:34 BST 2010

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:
> Peter Budny wrote:
>> I'm building a robot as a school project that will use data from TIGER
>> imports and automatically create route relations for US state roads.
>
> My advice is not to do it; if it can be done automatically, route
> relations are not required

If route relations are not required, then what are
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Road_Routes for?

They /are/ required, because roads may be discontiguous in various ways:
a road may change names (e.g. Main Street North becomes Main Street
South, but to a driver or pedestrian, both are just one continuous Main
Street), or even be physically discontiguous (some state and even US
Highways do this).

So far it is being done by hand.  The US Interstates and US Highways are
mostly done, but there are so many state roads in the US, it is a
daunting task to finish manually.  Using TIGER data, we can automate the
process, but the bot's work will not be perfect; humans will still have
to check it and make a few corrections.  Still, if it does 95% of the
work for them correctly, this is pretty good IMO.  (After all, TIGER data
itself is not even close to 95% correct.)
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \