[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 15:27:55 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) The road to hell in OSM is paved with bot intentions.
>
> OSM has a long, negative history with bots. We have a very small
> number of good imports, and dozens (if not more) bad imports. Bad
> imports are so commonplace in OSM that within the OSM community, bots
> of any sort are discouraged, but especially any imports, and
> especially (as you appear to be proposing), merging existing data with
> imported data.

+1

bots and imports are also fantastic ways of washing away community
consensus for the ideas of a single person.

there has been, for a very long time, a code of conduct for such
automated or mechanical edits (not just bots and imports, but also
mass edits with the usual editors) [1]. it's interesting that almost
no-one has followed the code of conduct, including logging their
activity on the log [2].

of course, the best thing is that these automated edits never happen
at all, instead that tools are provided (like the geofabrik inspector,
keep-right or the duplicate nodes map) to help the community fix these
errors themselves. we need to start cracking down on these disruptive
and counter-productive bots.

cheers,

matt

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct