[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Wed Oct 13 00:07:25 BST 2010

Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jan Sandbrink <fischikowski at web.de> wrote:
>> sorry, but what i see happening on the list a lot of times is, that people
>> who just want to contribute somehow are smashed into the ground.
>
> i welcome mr budny's contribution - as a tool for users to identify
> and fix problems with the map. since the beginning of this thread the
> advice has simply been "don't run a bot". as you rightly point out,
> we've had bad experiences with people running bots and we'd rather it
> didn't happen again.
>
> i encourage mr budny to do his project and release the results (and
> hopefully even the source code, but some universities have issues with
> that)

No issues here; I can (and will) make all the source and documentation
freely available.

> but *not* to automatically run them against the live database.

I never planned on doing that until people had inspected the changes the
bot would make and given approval that it would be doing them correctly.
Maybe I didn't make this obvious from the beginning; I wrongly assumed
/all/ people tested their code before releasing it into the wild.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \