[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 12 17:52:09 BST 2010

Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
>> Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> writes:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> bots and imports are also fantastic ways of washing away community
>>> consensus for the ideas of a single person.
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_relations
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highway_Relations
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Michigan/Highway_Relations
>>
>> Maybe I'm unclear what you mean by "consensus"?  Those look pretty
>> agree-upon to me.
>
> what i mean by "consensus" is "general agreement by a group of
> people". but this doesn't mean everyone agrees and then bots go and
> stomp over all the data. i mean the kind of consensus where each
> individual mapper is editing in a way that makes sense to them and a
> common system emerges. the very concept of a mass edit or bot is, by
> definition, unilateral and not consensual.
>
> secondly, just because something says "agreed" on the wiki doesn't
> make it so. the wiki is for documentation and discussion of existing
> tags. the real test of whether a scheme is "agreed" is whether it is
> popularly-used - by many users, not by a small number of proponents
> and bot-writers.

> have a look on tag[watch|info|stat] to see whether
> these schemes are in use

http://tagstat.hypercube.telascience.org/tagdetails.php?tag=route shows
more instances of road relations than either bus or bicycle routes, with
more than 20,000 uses.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Road_Routes has a list
of lists of road relations that have been or need to be created.  The US
ones, at least, are very specific as to what tags should be used on the
road relations.

I still don't understand how this doesn't represent general agreement by
the community.  I feel like you're arguing that the tags aren't
standardized and/or commonly-used, which doesn't look to be the case at
all.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \