[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Peter Budny peterb at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 12 18:18:19 BST 2010

Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
>> Writing, testing, and evaluating a bot is within the scope of a class
>> project for Emerging Database Technologies.  Working on osm2pgsql is
>> not.
>
> So? If you were running a class project on "Rearranging geospatial
> data into the shape of flowers", is that supposed to convince me that
> it's a good idea? I really don't care what's in scope of your class
> and what's not. What you are proposing is a bad idea.

Well, I'm already committed to the project.  If the general tone is that
automated edits are not welcome, I'll happily do edits on a local
database and throw them away later, leaving OSM in exactly the same
incomplete state it's in now.

I'd much rather my work be put to some use.  It would be nice if you and
others could describe what kind of automated edits /would/ be welcome.
I think the idea that /no/ robot could possibly improve OSM data correctly
is absurd.

If you'd like me to generate but not apply changesets, and hold them
until people approve that the robot is not causing harm, I can do that.
If you'd like me to choose a different task for the robot to perform, I
can do that.  If you'd like me to buzz off and continue to let people
waste their time doing edits that could be performed much faster by a
robot... well, I guess I'd have to live with that, if it's really what
you want.
--
Peter Budny  \
Georgia Tech  \