[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 18:43:24 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Peter Budny <peterb at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Well, I'm already committed to the project.  If the general tone is that
> automated edits are not welcome, I'll happily do edits on a local
> database and throw them away later, leaving OSM in exactly the same
> incomplete state it's in now.

OSM will never complete.

> I'd much rather my work be put to some use.  It would be nice if you and
> others could describe what kind of automated edits /would/ be welcome.
> I think the idea that /no/ robot could possibly improve OSM data correctly
> is absurd.

yes it is absurd but the past shows that they many did more harm than good.
as you can see on the reaction in this thread it's a mine field.

> If you'd like me to generate but not apply changesets, and hold them
> until people approve that the robot is not causing harm, I can do that.
> If you'd like me to choose a different task for the robot to perform, I
> can do that.  If you'd like me to buzz off and continue to let people
> waste their time doing edits that could be performed much faster by a
> robot... well, I guess I'd have to live with that, if it's really what
> you want.

yes this is the perfect approach. the mappers who are interested in this
will work on this. Especially in US there is no lack of people willing to do
imports or automatic edits but a lack of mappers who go out and do
verification on the ground.
OSM is much more about the community than the perfection and completion of
one or the other feature.