[OSM-dev] Data source for robot

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 18:42:44 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Jan Sandbrink <fischikowski at web.de> wrote:
> sorry, but what i see happening on the list a lot of times is, that people
> who just want to contribute somehow are smashed into the ground.

i welcome mr budny's contribution - as a tool for users to identify
and fix problems with the map. since the beginning of this thread the
advice has simply been "don't run a bot". as you rightly point out,
we've had bad experiences with people running bots and we'd rather it
didn't happen again.

i encourage mr budny to do his project and release the results (and
hopefully even the source code, but some universities have issues with
that), but *not* to automatically run them against the live database.
putting them up on a site, or making them visible on a map, would
allow them to be integrated by individual mappers with local knowledge
and without damaging any existing data.

cheers,

matt