[OSM-dev] Renderd + expire_list

Samir Faci (Dev) dev at esamir.com
Wed Oct 20 14:51:39 BST 2010

I found the a previous version of the render_expired does work for me,
so it wasn't an issue in my setup as much as code changes.

Looking at git hub:

This commit broke my intended behavior.
     http://github.com/openstreetmap/mod_tile/commit/1f3d2ddab6bb3ef5b492bf73089c61e718a22ee5

as far as I can tell there are 3 modes of operation.

1.)   -d, --delete-from=ZOOM  when expiring tiles of ZOOM or higher,
delete them instead of re-rendering (default is off)
        (Which seems to delete the metal files affected)
2.)   -T, --touch-from=ZOOM   when expiring tiles of ZOOM or higher,
touch them instead of re-rendering (default is off)
        (Which seems to update the timestamp to be Jan 1 00:00 2000,
either ways a time in the past which would force a re-render on the
next view by the user).
3.)  The last condition checked is if doRender is true, it would
render, but the variable is never set to true, so the program always
just falls through, and never does anything.

     3b.  There is a condition that checks if minZoom < touchFrom or
minZoom < deleteFrom to enable the rendering flag.

I was going to submit a patch... but I wanted to understand the
intended purpose of these changes.

it seems like the program flow now is to only render in combination
with touchFrom or deleteFrom.

I'd like an option that simply given a list of tiles to re-render
them.  I presume that touch/delete has some advantages in regards with
rendering them on demand via apache's mod_tile.

Would adding an option such as --render-from=ZOOM be acceptable? that
simply takes the list of tiles and re-renders all the meta files in
the list?

ie.

cat expire.list| render_expired --render-from=10  -z 10 -Z 13
--socket=/var/run/renderd/renderd.sock