[OSM-dev] New public nominatim service (mapquest)

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 18:49:27 BST 2010

There has already been an announce of talk regarding this but I
thought I'd bring this to the attention of the dev list especially
given the current network problems.

Mapquest have now created an instance of nominatim running on their
network infrastructure (which I've been involved in setting up).  This
instance is rather more powerful than the instance running on
nominatim.openstreetmap.org and includes redundant hardware - so
although there is no actual service level commitment the hope is to
provide a 24/7 service level.  There are also no usage limits and the
machines should be able to handle a much higher load than the existing
server so I encourage you to switch particularly if this is a mission
critical service for you.

If you want to try it just replace:

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/

with

http://open.mapquestapi.com/nominatim/v1/

the 2 instances should be completely equivalent, same parameters, same results.

Any problems let me know...
--
 Brian (nominatim developer)