[OSM-dev] Line segment with width primitive?

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.dk
Sat Sep 11 10:06:56 BST 2010

Hi,

I think it would be extremely useful to have a line segment with a
width primitive.

As an example of where this could be of use, is a thin strip of trees
lining a field (say, 15m wide, 500m long). Currently, the only way to
map this is using a very long, thin polygon. However, it would be much
simpler (and space-saving) to store this as a simple way tagged with
"width=15m". The renderers would draw this as a rectangle, the length
of the way and with the specified width. Another example is a long,
thin stretch of grass, for example between buildings or between roads.

In principle, this primitive could be used to draw all kinds of
rectangular and square areas. A way of 100m, with a width of 100m
would be rendered as a 100x100m square.

The width=* could also be applied to the end nodes of a line segment.
If the widths are different, the area rendered would be a trapeze.
With several joining line-segments with varying widths, more
complicated shapes could be reproduced.

I think this primitive could substitute many simple polygons
(buildings?), and it would increase the data-density and processing
speed.

Cheers,
Morten

PS: I realize that another keyword beside "width" is probably needed,
as not to confuse with the width of a road (not used by the renderers,
to my knowledge).