[OSM-dev] Run away Ruby and Postgres optimization

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:15:38 BST 2010

We finally have our system running and are doing some field tests with
multiple editors. The system keeps getting bogged down. Looking at the
process list, I'm seeing 7-8 ruby tasks, each eating 50%-100% of a CPU core
(thank god for multiple CPUs & cores). They are persisting for 20+ minutes.
Any idea what may be up? Should ruby tasks be hanging around that long?

I'm running a pretty much default Postgres install. Any hints on optimizing
Postgres for OSM?

-Eric