[OSM-dev] Release candidate for OSM binary format is in osmosis trunk.

Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Thu Sep 16 16:23:14 BST 2010

> For now, for simplicity, I'm going to revert to the same metadata as
> the XML format. Just a BBox and source field. I'll make them both
> optional, making it easier to upgrade metadata features in the future.
> When/if there is a consensus for additional metadata fields, support
> for them can be added then.
>

> I'll be releasing an rc2 at some point.

This has been done. RC2 is in osmosis trunk. Changes are almost
exclusively to the underlying osmbin.jar with no format
incompatibilities. Changes include:

    The aforementioned metadata handling changes, I only track the 'source'.
    Internal API change for serializing that will make it easier to
re-us code for a possible future binary changesets format.
    More error checking on possibly corrupt inputs.
    Improved source code documentation.

I've done a full round-trip comparison with the cloudmade Rhode Island
extract. Except for the version number, the output is identical to the
original XML.

Except for possibly changing the name of the format to something like
'osm protobuf format', I expect this version will be the final
version.

Scott