[OSM-dev] Release candidate for OSM binary format is in osmosis trunk.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 21 11:30:37 BST 2010

Hi,

Scott Crosby wrote:
> This has been done. RC2 is in osmosis trunk. Changes are almost
> exclusively to the underlying osmbin.jar with no format
> incompatibilities. Changes include:

I've been using it for a few days now and it looks promising; I might be
able to publish regular .osm.pbf extracts soon (and kick out the .bz2
stuff soon after).

One minor bug I've found is that when I try

osmosis --fast-read-xml in.xml --buffer --write-bin out.osm.pbf
compress=none

and accidentally run this in a directory where I do not have write
access, I get

java.io.FileNotFoundException: out.osm.pbf (Permission denied)
[...]
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: Argument
compress for task 3-write-bin was not recognised.
	at
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.pipeline.common.TaskManagerFactory.createTaskManager(TaskManagerFactory.java:64)

The latter message is obviously bogus, as compress=none is accepted fine
when the output file is writable.

Bye
Frederik