[OSM-dev] Release candidate for OSM binary format is in osmosis trunk.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 21 23:20:32 BST 2010

Hi,

Kai Krueger wrote:
> Not sure if I am interpreting this right, but are you suggesting to stop
> offering the daily xml extracts?

Yes.

> If yes, then I think someone else needs to
> step up and replace them,

Easy to do - just download the .osm.pbf and run

osmosis --read-bin country.osm.pbf --write-xml country.osm

> as they are quite an important part of using
> OpenStreetMap and definately not ready to be retired for some new binary
> format (even though the new format sounds quite appealing)

My guess is that 95% of people who use these files process them either
with osmosis, or mkgmap, or osm2pgsql. Osmosis already supports the
format; mkgmap either already does so or will do soon, and I'll take
care of osm2pgsql before I drop the .osm.bz2 distribution unless someone
beats me to it. The remaining 5% will have to install osmosis and run
the above conversion, and the conversion will in all likelihood take
*less* time than bunzipping the .osm.bz2.

Bye
Frederik