[OSM-dev] How to get non-technical users easily editing (offline)?

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 08:47:06 BST 2010

  On 22/09/2010 06:52, Sam Wilson wrote:
>  I'm currently thinking of changing this mud-map to use the relevant
> OSM tile as a starting point, and getting the users to sketch in their
> notes and modifications over the top, and then uploading these
> modified tiles to our server from where I can use them as backgrounds
> in JOSM.  I'm just wondering whether anyone's done anything like this
> before.
Take a look at Walking Papers:

http://walking-papers.org/

This does a similar thing, but with printouts that can be given to
non-technical mappers to make notes on. You then scan the annotated map
back into Walking Papers, which makes it available as a background in
Potlatch (or JOSM, if you like).

The printouts are just PDFs, so you may already be able to hack
something together using Walking Papers, but certain take a look and
talk to Michal.

Jonathan