[OSM-dev] How to get non-technical users easily editing (offline)?

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Wed Sep 22 09:10:36 BST 2010

  On 2010-09-22 3:47 PM, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> Take a look at Walking Papers:
>
> http://walking-papers.org/
>
> This does a similar thing, but with printouts that can be given to
> non-technical mappers to make notes on. You then scan the annotated
> map back into Walking Papers, which makes it available as a background
> in Potlatch (or JOSM, if you like).
>
> The printouts are just PDFs, so you may already be able to hack
> something together using Walking Papers, but certain take a look and
> talk to Michal.

Yes, of course!  I was working from the idea of Walking Papers, but
trying to apply it to screen-based editing.  But I could just *use*
images straight from WP!

The biggest problem I have is that not all of the notes made on the maps
will be of interest to OSM, and in some cases will contain private
data.  So I was figuring on doing a fair bit of processing myself
(there's usually only three or four field assessors doing the data
collection).  I shall look into getting the JOSM Walking Papers plugin
to use images from a local source.

(This project, by the way, if anyone's interested, is to assist power
pole assessors in Western Australia; people who travel thousands of kms
a month all over the state, driving all the back ways and small roads,
and taking note of fences, gates, power lines.  We've started using OSM
data for locating poles, and I thought it'd be nice to feed some of our
data back in to the map.)

- Sam.